Police watchdog investigating death of man in Cardiff

The police watchdog has launched an investigation following the death of a 30-year-old man in Cardiff.

Emergency services were called to Glyn Collen in Pentwyn at around 1am on Saturday.

South Wales Police said that the death “appears to be a medical episode with no suspicious circumstances”.

However, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which oversees police complaints, said an investigation is underway following the incident.

The man has not yet been formally identified but he is believed to be local.

His next of kin have been informed.

South Wales Police said: “At this stage, his death appears to be a medical episode with no suspicious circumstances.

“Police cordons are in place while inquiries continue.”

A spokesperson for the IOPC confirmed it is investigating.A spokesperson said: “We received a referral from South Wales Police due to the fact the man, 30, had contact with officers shortly before he was taken to hospital, where he died in the early hours of Saturday (19 June).”IOPC investigators attended the scene of the incident, at Glyn Collen, Pentwyn, and an independent investigation is underway.”While this is at an early stage, we know police were called shortly after 1am on Saturday to a man in distress and possibly injured. Officers came across a man who appeared unwell.”During the incident, the man was restrained and handcuffed by police. In their initial accounts, which have been provided to us, officers said this was for his own safety. He was not arrested during the incident.”Paramedics were called due to the man’s poor condition, which subsequently deteriorated. He was taken to the University of Wales hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2.30am.”

IOPC Director for Wales Catrin Evans said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time.“We understand the concern in the local community as a result of this incident, in part due to footage that has been shared online. That is why it is important that a thorough independent investigation is carried out to ensure we understand the full circumstances.“This work is in its infancy and we will be speaking to witnesses as well as reviewing body-worn video footage of the incident as part of our investigation.“We are aware of reports on social media that a Taser was used during the incident. While a Taser audit has yet to be carried out, from analysis of the scene and the video evidence seen so far, there is no evidence at this stage that a Taser was used.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.