No information was sent to the media about a police misconduct hearing into the murderer of Sarah Everard, PC Wayne Couzens, sparking fresh ‘cover-up’ claims
The Metropolitan Police Service faces fresh cover-up claims after keeping secret a misconduct hearing into killer PC Wayne Couzens.
Couzens, 48, was sacked from his job as a diplomatic protection officer after the hearing.
It came a week after he pleaded guilty to the kidnap, rape and murder of Sarah Everard in March this year.
Police misconduct hearings are usually held in public, with the media warned in advance.
But no information was sent.
A press release was issued on Friday, July 16 at 5.30pm – after the case had been heard.
Assistant Commissioner Helen Ball said the media were kept out because of the risk of “interfering with criminal proceedings” despite the fact Couzens had already pled guilty.
Sections explaining AC Ball’s decision were redacted from the hearing’s published outcome.
Details about “aggravating factors” relating to Couzens’ offences also seemed to have been removed.
The police watchdog is investigating the Met over how it investigated allegations Couzens indecently exposed himself three days before he abducted marketing manager Sarah, 33, from a street in Clapham, South London, as she walked home.
Reclaim These Streets, which organised Sarah’s vigil, said a “culture of cover-up” persisted.
Of the Met’s boss, it said: “Cressida Dick and the Met Police fail to be accountable to the people they are supposed to be keeping safe.”