Six more police officers will be investigated over “inappropriate photographs” taken at a crime scene following the murder of two sisters in London, it has been announced.
Two officers had previously been arrested and suspended following allegations that “non-official and inappropriate” pictures had been taken by police at the scene in Fryent Country Park, Wembley, following the killing of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that in the course of the investigation into those two officers by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC),
“further possible misconduct matters came to light”.
“The IOPC have advised six additional officers that they are under investigation for misconduct in relation to the inappropriate and non-official photographs,” the statement added.
The images had been shared in a closed WhatsApp group.
Scotland Yard said the IOPC had also identified possible misconduct unrelated to the Wembley incident, and involving a small number of officers.
A report following the investigation into the first two officers is currently being reviewed by the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards and will also be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.
But no more police officers have been suspended over the newly revealed alleged offences, the force said.
It added that Ms Henry and Ms Smallman’s families had been informed of the developments.
The deaths of Ms Henry, 46, of Brent, and Ms Smallman 27, of Harrow, were described by officers as “incredibly unusual“, given the rural location where their bodies were found.
Police believe they were part of a group of around 10 people who met in the park at around 7 pm on Friday 5 June to celebrate Ms Henry’s birthday.
Danyal Hussein, 18, of Blackheath, London, has been charged with the pair’s murder and appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 2 July 2020.